The Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/2340 amending Annex III to Regulation (EC) No 1925/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards green tea extracts containing (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate has been published on 30 November 2022.
This Regulation enters into force on 20th December 2022.
Annex III is amended as follows:
- In Part B, ‘Green tea extracts containing (-)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate (*) is inserted as ‘Restricted substance’ with the following Condition of Use: Daily portion of food shall contain less than 800 mg of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate.
- The label shall provide the maximum number of portions of the food for daily consumption and a warning not to consume a daily amount of 800 mg of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate or more.
- The label shall indicate the content of (-)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate per portion of the food.
- The label shall include the following warnings: “Should not be consumed if you are consuming other products containing green tea on the same day”. “Should not be consumed by pregnant or lactating women and children below 18 years old”. “Should not be consumed on an empty stomach”.’
- In part C ‘Substances under Community scrutiny’, Green tea extracts containing (-)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate is inserted*.
(*) excluding aqueous green tea extracts containing (-)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate which after reconstitution in beverages have a composition comparable to traditional green tea infusions.
Foodstuffs containing green tea extracts containing (-)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate, which do not comply with the requirements of this Regulation and were lawfully placed on the market before the entry into force of this Regulation may remain on the market until 21 June 2023.
Source: Publications Office (europa.eu)